Sunday, January 3, 2010

The 10 Best Indie Albums of 2009

It seems like all I do is lists now. I'm tired of doing them and I'm sure some of you are tired of reading them, but it's my responsibility to do at least 10 best of lists at the end of each year AND I haven't even started on all those decade lists. Blogging is harder than you think.

So here's what I thought were the best indie albums of 2009. The year was pretty good. (Especially after last year. 2008 sucked. I mean seriously, Fleet Foxes is great and all if you're in the mood for it, but if you're not, it sucks.)


10. Logos - Atlas Sound

Yeah, the cover sucks.

9. Catacombs - Cass McCombs

For some reason my internet is being slow. Uploading all these album covers is not as easy as it should be.


8. Post-Nothing - Japandroids

Cool band name. 

 












7. Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - Phoenix

Remember The Faint? Phoenix is kind of like The Faint only a lot poppier. Eh, maybe not.


6. Embryonic - The Flaming Lips


5. ...For the Whole World to See - Death


I still can't believe this was recorded in 1975. Not really indie, but whatever.



4. Album - Girls

3. Farm - Dinosaur Jr

When most bands reunite or keep putting out music when they're old, it usually sucks. Dinosaur Jr's latest two albums are a notable exception. 


2. Merriweather Post Pavilion - Animal Collective

I think I misspelled it. Oh well.

Animal Collective does it again! They make another awesome album that sounds different than all their other albums, but is still as awesome as the rest of their albums.

The trippy album art is pretty cool too.


1. Veckatimest - Grizzly Bear

I'm pretty sure I misspelled this one too. Why can't bands make their albums easier to spell? I mean the whole elitism thing about hard to spell albums felt tired years ago.

I remember when this album leaked. I was like "Meh, MPP is better." but now I'm like "MPP is okay but it's not the best Animal Collective album. That new Grizzly Bear album grows on you after repeated listening."